Referenced Messianic Jewish Review Blog

The official blog of the Referenced Messianic Jewish Review. The Referenced Messianic Jewish Review studies the history, composition and theology of the Messianic Jewish movement.

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Verses of Atonement: Isaiah 1:11-18

This is the second part of a series looking at atonement. As the Messianic movement incorrectly claims sacrifice is needed for atonement (then incorrectly understands how a sacrifice is accomplished), I thought I would list Biblical methods of atonement that have nothing to do with sacrifice.

Isaiah 1: 11-18

11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me? says the L-rd; I am full of the burnt-offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he-goats.

12 When you come to appear before Me, who has required this at your hand, to trample My courts?


13 Bring no more vain oblations; it is an offering of abomination unto Me; new moon and sabbath, the holding of convocations--I cannot endure iniquity along with the solemn assembly.

14 Your new moons and your appointed seasons My soul hate; they are a burden unto Me; I am weary to bear them.


15 And when you spread forth your hands, I will hide Mine eyes from you; yea, when you make many prayers, I will not hear; your hands are full of blood.

16 Wash you, make you clean, put away the evil of your doings from before Mine eyes, cease to do evil;

17 Learn to do well; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow

18 Come now, and let us reason together, says the L-rd; though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

So, we learn from the Book of Isaiah that ceasing evil, doing justice and helping the opressed, fatherless and widow can all bring atonement. No sacrifice is necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home