Referenced Messianic Jewish Review Blog

The official blog of the Referenced Messianic Jewish Review. The Referenced Messianic Jewish Review studies the history, composition and theology of the Messianic Jewish movement.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Messianics and the N Word

As someone who has been involved in countermissionary activity for many years, I have heard many bizarre comments. Everything from claims that the Rabbis changed the Bible to denying affiliation in a Christian demonination, despite being in the demonination's official church directory. However, I recently received a comment that is head and shoulders above any comment I could have imagined.

Steve Gilberston is the Pastor of a Colorado Messianic congregation called Yeshua Light of the World, which was formerly known as Kehilat Sha'arit Yisrael. Pastor Gilbertson holds a Master's in Divinity from the Denver Seminary, which is an evangelical Christian seminary. For eight years he was the pastor of a Baptist chuch. His wife is a trained Christian missionary. Clearly, he is a practicing Christian. In fact, this congregation was formerly run by another Baptist minister by the name of Rick Trimble.

In an e-mail to me (an exchage which started with his missionary wife e-mailing me), Pastor Gilberston said:

calling me a Christian is like calling me a "nigger"

I was absolutely taken aback by the comment. I never used any racial insults to him or his wife. Racial insults are not part of my vocabulary. In fact, this is the first communication I had with him since previously I had only heard from his wife. That a leader of a congregation, no matter what it's affiliation, could use such abhorent language is horrific.

Obviously, he is factually wrong in his claims. He really is a practicing Christian. Baptist churches only hire in Christians. The Denver Seminary is a Christian seminary. The entire movement of "Messianic Judaism" is a Christian creation to evangelize Jews. But to use such inappropriate language was a shock to me, even beyond the normal absurdity and lies that I am used to receiving from members of the Messianic movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home